The Institute of Grief Care was established as Japan’s first institute dealing with this subject in April 2009 in Amagasaki City, Hyogo Prefecture, in April 2010 it becomes an institution of Sophia University. The Institute’s activities include professional training for grief care counselors. The Institute’s activities began following a major accident on the Fukuchiyama rail line. The activities of the institute have been supported by a grant from the JR WEST Relief Foundation, and from 2014, the Institute receives the contribution from other support groups.
- Research in Grief Care and Spiritual Care
- Professional training course for Grief Care practitioners
- Public Lecture series in Tokyo & Osaka (2series a year)
- Activities commissioned by local governments
- Publications, including Grief Care a journal of the institute