Certificates and Transcripts
There are 4 ways to apply for the certificates.
- By certificate issurance machine (for current students only)
- Visit at center for academic affairs
- By postal mail (domestic or international)
- By proxy
Issuing by certificate issurance machine (for current students only)
- It is placed at the 4th floor of building No.2, Yotsuya campus.
- Use your student ID card and password.
Visiting the center for academic affairs and apply for certificates
- The center for academic affairs is at the 1st floor of building No.2, Yotsuya campus.
- Please show the ID like passport, drivers licence, residence card when you apply for certificates.
Application by mail
- Please send "Aplication Form" and "Fee including postage" to the center for academic affairs.
- 1. Application Form (please download the "Application form"(69.97 KB)or free format application that indicates:
・Your name (at Sophia University)
・Telephone number and e-mail address
・Date of birth
・Student ID number (if applicable)
・Year and month of graduation / withdrawal
・Faculty and department / Graduate school and Program, you belonged to.
・Specify certificates/transcripts , Number of copies, language(Japanese / English)
・Whether the certificates should be sent in a sealed and signed envelope
・Address to be sent
- 2. Certificates fees and postage
<Application by domestic mail >
Please purchase a “Yubin Teigaku Kogawase” (郵便定額小為替) for the Total Amount at a post office and enclose it with the Application Form.
<Application from outside Japan>
Please purchase an “International Postal Money Order”(国際郵便為替) at a post office, or let your bank issue a personal check in U.S dollars, for the Total Amount and enclose it with the Application Form. The "International Postal Money Order" or the personal check should be made payable to "Sophia University".
※“International Postal Money Order”(国際郵便為替) is unavailable in Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, France ,U.K. and some countries.
※U.S dollar ($) to Japanese Yen (¥) Exchange Rate ： US $1 = ¥100
※Requests by phone or e-mail are NOT accepted.
- Mailing Address
Certificates / Transcripts, Center for Academic Affairs,
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan 102-8554
Application by proxy (代理人)
- The proxy can take procedures of visiting the center for academic affairs with the Letter of proxy (委任状).
Please download the "Letter of Proxy"(47.04 KB)or use free format that indicates:
・Your name, date of birth, address, phone number, email address
・Reasons for delegation
・Proxy's name, date of birth, address, phone number
Please fill out the required information yourself and give it to the proxy.
Certificate issurance fee and postage
|Graduates and student who leaves school before graduation||Certificate of graduation/degree certificate (卒業/修了証明書)||¥300|
|Certificate of Enrollment (在籍証明書) *
It can be issued to former non-degree students, non-matriculated students, auditors, research students, and those who entered Sophia university but withdrew before graduation.
|Current students||Certificate of Enrollment (在学証明書)||¥200|
|Certificate of Expected Graduation（卒業見込証明書）||¥200|
Fees for graduates and current students are different.
Please check the fees and prepare appropriate amount.
|Postage in Japan|
|1 ～ 3 copies||¥100||
Add EXTRA ¥300
|4 ～ 7 copies||¥200|
|8 ～ 20 copies||¥300|
|Postage for Airmail||USA
|2 ～ 3 copies||¥200||¥300||¥200|
|4 ～ 7 copies||¥400||¥500||¥400|
|8 ～ 20 copies||¥700||¥900||¥500|
|Postage for EMS *EMS: Express Mail Service|
Office hours and issuance schedule in Normal Period
- Office hours: 9:30-11:30／12:30-17:00
*Office is closed on Saturday, Sunday, National holidays and School holidays
Certificate issurance machine works from 9:00 to 17:00.
*It is out of service on Saturday, Sunday, National holidays and School holidays
Day of issue
It takes three days from the day we receive your application.
- Application received on Monday or Tuesday, the certificate will be issued on Friday
- Application received on Wednesday or Thursday, the certificate will be issued on next Monday
- Application received on Friday, the certificate will be issued on next Wednesday
Office hours and issuance schedule in August
- Office hours in August: 10:00-11:30／12:30-16:00
*Office is closed on Saturday, Sunday, National holidays
- Summer recess: From August 11 to August 19 (Office closed)
*Certificate issurance machine is also out of service during summer recess.
- Application on August 8 → Issue on August 10
- Application on August 9 and 10 → Issue on August 22
- Application during summer recess (by mail only) → Issue on August 24
* For Short term program like summer Session Certificate, please visit the Summer Session Office web site.
Certificates / Transcripts, Academic Records Section
Center for Academic Affairs, Sophia University
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan 102-8554