Certificates and Transcripts
Activities on campus have been resumed in stages and campus entry restrictions will be eased beginning Monday, November 9. If campus entry reservation is made, current students may use the automated certificate issuing machine. As for issuing of health certificates, a request must be made via post or at the counter of Health Center as automated services are currently unavailable. You may also apply for and obtain all certificates by postal service; there is no need to come to university. Please note, campus entry reservation is only for current students. Graduates can apply for certificates only by postal service.
There are 4 ways to apply for the certificates.
- By certificate issuance machine (for current students only)
- Visit at center for academic affairs ***UNAVAILABLE NOW***
- By postal mail (domestic or international)
- By proxy
Issuing by certificate issuance machine (for current students only)
- It is placed at the 4th floor of building No.2, Yotsuya campus.
- Use your student ID card and password.
Visiting the center for academic affairs and apply for certificates ***UNAVAILABLE NOW***
- The center for academic affairs is at the 1st floor of building No.2, Yotsuya campus.
- Please show the ID like passport, drivers licence, residence card when you apply for certificates.
Application by mail
- Please send "Aplication Form" and "Fee including postage" to the center for academic affairs.
- 1. Application Form (please download the "Application form"(114.54 KB)or free format application that indicates:
・Your name (at Sophia University)
・Telephone number and e-mail address
・Date of birth
・Student ID number (if applicable)
・Year and month of graduation / withdrawal
・Faculty and department / Graduate school and Program, you belonged to.
・Specify certificates/transcripts , Number of copies, language(Japanese / English)
・Whether the certificates should be sent in a sealed and signed envelope
・Address to be sent
※Please enclose a photocopy of your resident card when you request items for extension of period of stay / change of status of residence (for college student status).
- 2. Certificates fees and postage
<Application by domestic mail >
Please purchase a “Yubin Teigaku Kogawase” (郵便定額小為替) for the Total Amount at a post office and enclose it with the Application Form.
<Application from outside Japan>
Please purchase the “International Reply Coupon”(国際返信切手券) at a post office, or let your bank issue a personal check in JP yen or U.S dollars, for the Total Amount and enclose it with the Application Form. The personal check should be made payable to "Sophia University".
※One sheet of “International Reply Coupon” is equivalent to 130 yen.
※For personal check, U.S dollar ($) to Japanese Yen (¥) Exchange Rate ： US $1 = ¥100
※Requests by phone or e-mail are NOT accepted.
- Mailing Address
Certificates / Transcripts, Center for Academic Affairs,
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan 102-8554
Application by proxy (代理人)
- The proxy can take procedures of visiting the center for academic affairs with the Letter of proxy (委任状).
Please download the "Letter of Proxy"(47.04 KB)or use free format that indicates:
・Your name, date of birth, address, phone number, email address
・Reasons for delegation
・Proxy's name, date of birth, address, phone number
Please fill out the required information yourself and give it to the proxy.
Certificate issuance fee and postage
|Graduates and student who leaves school before graduation||Certificate of graduation/degree certificate (卒業/修了証明書)||¥300|
|Certificate of Enrollment (在籍証明書) *
It can be issued to former non-degree students, non-matriculated students, auditors, research students, and those who entered Sophia university but withdrew before graduation.
|Current students||Certificate of Enrollment (在学証明書)||¥200|
|Certificate of Expected Graduation（卒業見込証明書）||¥200|
Fees for graduates and current students are different.
Please check the fees and prepare appropriate amount.
|Postage in Japan|
|1 ～ 3 copies||¥100||
Add EXTRA ¥300
|4 ～ 7 copies||¥200|
|8 ～ 20 copies||¥300|
|Postage for Airmail||USA
|2 ～ 3 copies||¥200||¥300||¥200|
|4 ～ 7 copies||¥400||¥500||¥400|
|8 ～ 20 copies||¥700||¥900||¥500|
|Postage for EMS *EMS: Express Mail Service|
Office hours and issuance schedule in Normal Period
- Office hours from April 8, 2020-
- *Office is closed, certificate issuance machine is out of service.
- Application received on Monday or Tuesday, the certificate will be issued on Friday
- Application received on Wednesday or Thursday, the certificate will be issued on next Monday
- Application received on Friday, the certificate will be issued on next Wednesday
School holidays information
Office is closed during these school holidays. Certificate issuance machines are out of service, too.
- Summer recess ・・・Middle August
- Anniversary of the University’s founding・・・November 1
- Sophia festival・・・Early November
- St. Xavier's Day・・・December 3
- Winter recess・・・From late December to early January
- Entrance Examinations・・・Early February
Issuance schedule during winter recess
*Dec.24 (Thu)～Jan.4 (Mon), 2021 Request by mail → Jan.8(Fri) Sending by mail
N.B. Office closed Dec.24 (Thu)～Jan.4 (Mon), 2021
* For Short term program like summer Session Certificate, please visit the Summer Session Office web site.
Certificates / Transcripts, Academic Records Section
Center for Academic Affairs, Sophia University
7-1 Kioi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan 102-8554