On sabbatical leave during autumn 2021 and spring 2022
B.A., Leeds University
Mphil, Ph.D., Cambridge University
Research and Teaching Interests：
Media and Politics (Especially in Russia and Burma)・Propaganda and Public Opinion・Political Leadership・Political Transitions・Democratisation・The European Union・British Politics・Global Political Economy・Japanese Politics and International Relations・Nationalism and Populism
- Burrett, Tina. “ Television and Presidential Power in Putin’s Russia”, London: Routledge, 2010
- Burrett, Tina and J. Kingston (eds.) “Media Freedom in Asia”, London: Routledge, 2019
- Burrett, Tina. “Prime Ministerial Leadership in Britain and Japan, London, Palgrave Macmillan”, 2021 (forthcoming, under contract).
Recent Peer Reviewed Articles
- Burrett, T. “ China and the United States on Russian Television: “Russia First””, Russian Analytical Review, Volume 229, December 2018:
- Burrett, Tina. “Russian Television Coverage of the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election”, Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization, Volume 26, Number 3, Summer 2018, pp. 287-319.
- Burrett, Tina. “Mixed Signals: Democratization and the Myanmar Media”, Politics and Governance, Volume 5, Number 3, 2017.
- Burrett, Tina. “Abe Road: Comparing Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Leadership of his First and Second Governments”, Parliamentary Affairs, Spring 2017.
- Burrett, Tina. “Assessing the Authority of the Japanese Prime Minister: The Leadership Capital Index”, Politics and Governance, 2016.
- Burrett, Tina. “National Interests Verses National Pride: Obstacles to Resolution of the Russo-Japanese Northern Territories Dispute”, Problems of Post-Communism Volume 61, Number 5, September-October 2014, pp.14-31.
- Burrett, Tina. “Reaffirming Russia’s Remote Control: Exploring Kremlin Influence on Television Coverage of Russian-Japanese Relations and the Southern Kuril Islands Territorial Dispute”, Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization Volume 22, Number 3, Summer 2014, pp.359-381.
Recent Book Chapters
- Burrett, Tina. “Great Expectations: Domestic Politics and the Russo-Japanese Northern Territories Dispute”, Critical Issues in Contemporary Japan, Ed. J. Kingston, Second Edition, London: Routledge, 2019, pp.158-171.
- Burrett, Tina. “Japan’s Multilateralism”, Japan’s Foreign Relations in Asia, Ed. J. Kingston & J. D. J. Brown, London: Routledge, 2017.
- Burrett, Tina. “Spin Over Substance? The PR Strategies of Vladimir Putin and Shinzo Abe”, Press Freedom in Contemporary Japan, Ed. J. Kingston, London: Routledge, 2017.
- Burrett, Tina. “Russia’s Competing Nationalisms and Relations with Asia”, Asian Nationalisms Reconsidered, Ed. J. Kingston, London: Routledge, 2015.
- Burrett, Tina. “East is East and West is West? Applying Theories of Nationalism to Asia”, Asian Nationalisms Reconsidered, Ed. J. Kingston, London: Routledge, 2015.
- For The Japan Times.
- For The New Internationalist.
Faculty of Liberal Arts
|Courses No||Title||2021 Semester Offered|
CONTROVERSIES IN GLOBALIZATION
|POL409||PROPAGANDA AND PUBLIC OPINION||Spring|
GLOBAL POLITICAL ECONOMY
|POL408||POLITICAL LEADERSHIP||Not Offered|
Graduate Program in Global Studies
|Course No||Title||2021 Semester offered|
|AG532Z||MEDIA AND POLITICS||Not Offered|
|AG718Z||ADVANCED STUDIES IN MEDIA AND POLITICS||Not Offered|