Globalization and cultural policies; Trans-Asian media flows;
Media representations of bodies
B.S., M.A., University of Texas
Ph.D. University of Tokyo
Research and Teaching Interests：
My research interests lie in the fields of cultural studies, film and popular media, postcolonial nationalism, biopolitics and surveillance.
- Kukhee Choo. 2013. Contents Transformation in East Asia: Popular Culture, Media and Identity, Tokyo: Seikyusha (co-edited with Takeshi Tanikawa et al.)
- Kukhee Choo. "Memories of Comfort: Postcolonial Production and Consumption of Koreeda Hirokazu’s Air Doll (2009)" in Popular Culture and the Transformation of Japan-Korea Relations, Rumi Sakamoto, & Stephen Epstein (eds.), Routledge (forthcoming 2020)
- Kukhee Choo. My Sassy Girl (2001): The Taming of the Yŏpgi" in Rediscovering Korean Cinema, Sangjoon Lee (ed.), Ann Arbor: U of Michigan Press (forthcoming fall 2019)
- Kukhee Choo. 2018. "Cool Governance: Japan’s Ubiquitous Society, Surveillance, and Creative Industries." Cutlure, Theory & Critique, Vol. 59, No. 2, 94-118. .
- Kukhee Choo. 2014. “Hyperbolic Nationalism: South Korea's Shadow Animation Industry.” Mechademia,Vol. 9, 144-162.
- Kukhee Choo. 2013. “Japan Studies and Anime Research: The Structure of Self-Reflexivity. ” Repre, Vol. 18. (written in Japanese by author)
- Kukhee Choo. 2011. “Yoshimi Shunya Interviewed by Kukhee Choo. ” Television & New Media Journal, Vol. 12, No. 6, 560-572.
- Kukhee Choo. 2010. “Anime, Game, and American Media. ” Planets, Vol. 7, 248-256 (written in Japanese by author)
- Kukhee Choo. 2009. “Visual Evolution across the Pacific: The Influence of Anime on US Film Media. ” Post Script, Vol. 28, No. 2, 28-37.
- Kukhee Choo. 2008. “Girls Return Home: Portrayal of Femininity in Popular Japanese Shōjo Manga/Anime during the 1990s in the Cases of Hana Yori Dango and Fruits Basket. ” Women: a Cultural Review, Vol. 19, No. 3, 275-296. (selected as Top 25 Most Read Gender Articles Published from Routledge in 2014)
- Kukhee Choo. 2008. “The Shifting Relationship between the Japanese Government and the Anime Industry. ” Commentary on the Cultural Industry in China, Vol. 8, 2008. 301-317.
- Kukhee Choo. 2013. “Playing the Global Game: Japan Brand and Globalization ” in Asian Popular Culture: The Global (dis)connection, Anthony Fung (ed.), Routledge, 213-227.
- Kukhee Choo. 2013. “Relocating Anime in Early Television History” in Contents Transformation in East Asia: Popular Culture, Media and Identity, Takeshi Tanikawa, Kukhee Choo, Noriko Sudo & Dixon Wong (eds.), Seikyusha, 152-169. (written in Japanese by author)
- Kukhee Choo. 2011. “Nationalizing ‘Cool’: Japan’s Global Promotion of the Content Industry” in Popular Culture and the State in East and Southeast Asia, Nissim Otmazgin and Eyal Ben-Ari (eds.), London: Routledge, 83-103.
- Kukhee Choo. 2010. “Another Possibility for Japan Studies” in The Futures of Japanese Imagination: Possibilities for Cool Japanology, Hiroki Azuma (ed.), NHK Publishing, 227-257. (symposium proceedings)
- Kukhee Choo. 2010. “ Cool Japan Nation: The Japanese Government’s Popular Culture Promotion Policy” in Reading Nationalism through Subculture: Visualizing Identites, Tanikawa Takeshi, Dixon Wong, & Yongmei Wu (eds.), Seikyusha, 50-71. (written in Japanese by author)
- Kukhee Choo. 2010. “Consuming Japan: Early Korean Girls Comic Book Artists’ Resistance and Empowerment” in Complicated Currents: Media Flows, Soft Power and East Asia, Daniel Black, Stephen Epstein & Alison Tokita (eds.), University of Monash Press, 6.1-6.16.
- Kukhee Choo. 2009. “In search of the Lost Voices: Korean Female Comic Book Artists’ Resistance and Empowerment: under the Military Regime” in Border-crossing Popular Culture: From Li Xianglan to Tackey, Tanigawa Takeshi & Haguchi Hideko (eds.), Seikyusha, 41-80. (written in Japanese by author)
- Kukhee Choo. 2015. “Anime Creativity: Characters and Premises in the Quest for Cool Japan” by Ian Condry in Digital Studies 2: Media Representation, Mike Featherstone, Hidetaka Ishida, Shunya Yoshimi (eds.), University of Tokyo Press (from English to Japanese)
- Kukhee Choo. 2008. “The Japanese Influence on Korea’s Popular Music: The Difference Before and After 1945” by Junhui Lee in Border-crossing Popular Culture: From Li Xianglan to Tackey, Tanigawa Takeshi & Haguchi Hideko (eds.), Seikyusha, 171-198. (from Korean to Japanese)
|Courses No||Title||2019 Semester Offered|