Sophia University's response due to declaration of state of emergency (Effective from January 8)
January 7, 2021
Considering the declaration of a state of emergency on Thursday, January 7, 2021, the University will take the following measures effective from Friday, January 8 until an undetermined future date.
Furthermore, we will continue to closely monitor the situation, while following the responses of the National and Tokyo Metropolitan Governments, and adjust the following measures when deemed necessary. Any changes will be announced on the University homepage, Loyola (For Students), and the Sophia Bulletin Board (For Staff and Faculty Members).
We ask for your understanding and cooperation in preventing the spread of infection.
1. Procedures regarding campus entry
(1) Current Students
Procedures to enter the campus to attend in-person classes, conduct on-campus research activities, or for other reasons will remain unchanged as of previously in December unless your professor, Department or Graduate School specifies otherwise.
In addition, if you feel like you will be unable to participate in in-person classes due to health safety concerns, please consult with your professor. (There will be alternative measures in place so that all students are treated equally.)
(2) Staff and Faculty Members
Please see details on Sophia Bulletin Board.
(3) General Public (Including High School Students, Prospective Students)
- In general, entry into the campus will be permitted only to those who have received permission.
- Entrance examinations are to be held as scheduled, taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of infection. We ask that all examinees also cooperate and take the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of infection.
High School Students and Prospective students can make an appointment to consult with the Admissions Office at the following link.
2. Use of on-campus facilities
(1) Student Extracurricular Activities
Beginning Saturday, January 9, 2021, all in-person extracurricular activities will be prohibited. Please check the announcement from Student Affairs.
(2) Other Activities
Procedures to use on-campus facilities such as to participate in online classes, conduct research activities, use the library or computer room, visit offices, use the automated certificate issuing machine, etc. will remain unchanged for the time being.
(3) Points to note
- As the ongoing outbreak situation changes, there is a possibility that some facilities may reduce available hours. We ask for your understanding in this matter.
- Rules for on-campus research activities may change, please follow the instructions from your Graduate School.
3. Points to prevent the spread of infection
- Avoid the "3Cs" (closed room, close gatherings, close contact), and continue to use general precautions. General precautions are outlined in "Preventing Spread of COVID-19" ( For Students ) ( For Faculty Members ). (In particular, practice social distancing and refrain from group activities)
- Please refrain from leaving your home for non-essential reasons.
- Students: when leaving the campus, please register and record the facilities you used while you were on campus.(See November 24 announcement on Loyola.)
[ Contact Information ]