Sophia University United Nations Weeks, Oct 2016
Sophia United Nations Weeks, Oct 2016 held from Oct 17 to 28
Sophia United Nations Weeks first held in 2014 taking place this fall for the sixth time featuring range of opportunities “to consider our future and the world through UN activities.”
Commemorating 60th Anniversary for Japan joining UN this year, for United Nations Day Oct 24, we will invite Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida and Misako Konno, UNDP Goodwill Ambassador for the special event and other guests, Japanese Ambassador to UN Motohide Yoshikawa, UNHCR Representative in Japan Dirk Hebecker and a Sophia graduate singer, Yu Hayami will make appearance through Sophia United Nations Week.
“Sophia University United Nations Weeks” is held with the aim to cultivate human resources who will excel in NGO and the commercial corporations to contribute in the field of international corporations to realize “Men and Women for Others, with Others”- the spirit of Sophia University.
Events for Sophia University United Nations Week, Oct 2016
For registion and information →
【1】Talk on the World : Reality of UN and Role of Japan
Talk on the World” is a seminar with the purpose of interaction of students with prominent leaders in various fields such as, diplomacy, international relations, economy and other fields in a global scale. This time former UN ambassador Motohide Yoshikawa will be giving a lecture about the role of Japan in UN.
- Date: Oct 18, Tue from 9:15 to 10:45am (Door opens at 8:45am) Free Entrance/Registration required
- Venue: Yotsuya Campus No.2 Bldg 17th floor, International Conference Center
- Lecturer: Motohide Yoshikawa (Permanent Mission of Japan to the United Nations) Ichiro Fujisaki (Sophia University Distinguished Professor, Director SIIR, Former Japanese Ambassador to the US) Yasuhiro Ueki (Professor in the Sophia University Faculty of Global Studies, Former UN spokesman)
- Opens to: Sophia Students, Faculty Members and Public
- Organizer: Sophia University
Please register from here→ https://eipo.jp/sophia/seminars/
【2】Photo Exhibition ”History of Japan and United Nations. Japan Joining United Nations 60th Anniversary”
Commemorating 60th year of Japan joining United Nations the photo exhibition will be held to review cooperation between Japan and United Nations.
- Date: Oct 19, Wed to Oct 28, Fri
- Venue: Yotsuya Campus No.2 Bldg Entrance Hall
- Organizer: Sophia University
Photos provided by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
【3】Inter-Agency Outreach Mission to Japan-United Nations Joint Job Fair in Sophia University
Inter-Agency Outreach Mission will visit Japan to publicize recruitment system of UN Secretariat for Japanese who are interested to work at UN. Anyone seeking careers in UN or the field of international cooperation please join.
- Speaker and Participant Organizations: United Nations Secretariat (UN) UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) United Nations Fund for Populations Activities (UNFPA) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)UN Women
- Opens to: Sophia students and public
- Organizer: Sophia University
- Supported by: United Nations Secretariat, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
【4】UNCHR Refugee Higher Education Program Agreement Ceremony /11th UNHCR Refugee Film, Festival – School Partners Film Screening
Sophia University concluded UNCHR Refugee Higher Education Agreement aiming to provide scholarships for non-Japanese refugees reside in Japan to support in their education. To commemorate the agreement the special lecture will be given following the film festival.
- Date: Oct 21, Fri, 17:15-19:30pm (Door Opens at 16:45pm)
- Registration required / Free Entrance
1) UNCHR Refugee Higher Education Program Agreement Ceremony
2) Special Lecture by Dirk Hebecker UNHCR Representative in Japan
3) 11th UNHCR Refugee Film Festival – School Partners Film Screening:
“Life on the Borders” 73min, Produced by Bahman Ghobadi Iraq, 2015, Iraq, Kurdish with Japanese and English subtitles
Please register from here→ https://eipo.jp/sophia/reserves/input/3605For more information→ Click Here（English/PDF）(1.75 MB)
【5】60th Anniversary Japan joining United Nations, United Nations Day
Celebrating 60th Anniversary for Japan joining United Nations on United Nations Day on Oct 24, together with the special guests we will give our thoughts to the world and our future from various perspectives.
- Date: Oct 24 Mon 18:00 pm to 20:00 pm (Door Opens at 17:30)
- Venue: Yotsuya Campus No.2 Bldg, 17th Floor International Conference Center
1)”My View on the Sustainable Development Goals” Student Photo Contest Award Ceremony
2) Special Lectures “Changing the World through Creative Powers”
- Lecturers: Yu Hayami (Singer, Sophia Graduate) Lesslie Kee (Celebrity Photographer) Kaoru Nemoto(Japan Director United Nations Information Center )
3) UNDP Goodwill Ambassador Talk Event
Lecturer: Misako Konno (UNDP Goodwill Ambassador)
Tetuo Kondo (Director UNDP Representation office in Tokyo)
Yasuhiro Ueki (Professor in the Sophia University Faculty of Global Studies, Former UN Spokesman)
Opens to: Sophia students, faculty members, high school students and public
Organizer: Sophia University, UNIC
Please register from here→https://eipo.jp/sophia/seminars/
【6】Photo Exhibition of Awarded Works of ”My View on the Substainable Development Goals” Student Photo Contest
A photo contest themed “My View on the Sustainable Development Goals” is being hosted by the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) Japan and Sophia University. More than 600 entries from about 50 countries were made since opening of the entry in June. The 1st Prize, known as the Foreign Minister Prize, will be awarded to one student.
- Date: Oct 26, Wed to Nov 18, Fri (except Nov 1)
- Venue: Yotsuya Campus Central Library 1st floor Exhibition Hall
The judges are: Leslie Kee (Celebrity Photorapher) Natsuki Yasuda (Photo Journalist) Hideko Kataoka (Newsweek Japan’s Photo Director）
Rebecca Swift (Creative Director of Getty Images) Hiroaki Mizushima (Professor, Dept. of Journalism, Sophia University)
Kaoru Nemoto (Director of United Nations Information Centre Tokyo)
- Organizer: UNIC, Sophia University
- Special Assistance: Getty’s Images Japan
- Supported by: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, Global Compact Network Japan
【7】Symposium “Supply Chain. Thinking Together with Commercial Business and NPO” How the products reach to the consumers.
Sophia students and “The Sustainable Development Goals” adopted at UN Headquarter last September
- Date: Oct 27, Thurs 17:30 to 19:30 (Door Opens at 17:00)
- Venue: Yotusya Campus No.2 Bldg 17th Floor International Conference Center
- Open to: Sophia Students, faculty members and staffs, high school students and public
- Organizer: Sophia University, Global Compact Network Japan
- Cooperated by: Japan Global Compact Academic Network Japan
Please register here→ https://eipo.jp/sophia/seminars/