Comparative Literature / Modern Japanese Literature
B.A., Bowdoin College
M.A., Ph.D., Princeton University
Research and Teaching Interests：
I have written on a wide range of topics in comparative literature and modern Japanese literature. My earlier research mainly focused on the author Mori Ōgai, and I have examined Mori Ōgai’s historical fiction as well as his engagement with German-language books. I have also investigated literary travels, as a genre, a theme, and as actual movements of authors and texts. More recently, I have translated and written on contemporary Japanese criticism (hihyō) since the 1990s, especially on the critical discourses on popular culture. I have also been interested in the question of reading Japanese literature as world literature.
At Sophia, I teach courses in comparative literature, including courses on contemporary literature, cultural encounters and literature, and literature and film. I also teach a Core course on critical thinking.
- Hiroki Azuma. Otaku: Japan’s Database Animals.Translated by Jonathan E. Abel and Shion Kono. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2009.
- Kono, Shion.“Poppu Karuchaa gensetsu no shisa kara kangaeru” [Thinking from a parallax of pop culture discourses]. In Hiroki Azuma (ed.), Nihonteki Sōzōryoku no mirai [The Future of Japanese Imagination]. Tokyo: NHK Books, 2010: 259-79.
- Kono, Shion.“The Rhetoric of Annotation in Mori Ōgai’s Historical Fiction and Shiden Biographies.” Journal of Japanese Studies, 32:2 (2006): 311-340.
- Kono, Shion. “A Travelogue of a ‘Round-the-World Trip’ on Tokyo Asahi Shimbun: Newspaper Media at the late Meiji Period and the Experience Abroad.” PAJLS Proceedings of the Association for Japanese Literary Studies 8 (2007): 212-221.
- Kono, Shion. Review of The Anime Machine: A Media Theory of Animation by Thomas Lamarre, Monumenta Nipponica, 66:1 (2011): 205-07.
Faculty of Liberal Arts
|LIT324||LITERATURE AND FILM|
|LIT352||WORLD LITERATURE: A LITERARY JOURNEY|
|LIT470||SEMINAR IN WORLD LITERATURE|
Graduate Program in Global Studies
|JS546Z||INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE STUDIES|
|JS518Z||COMPARATIVE LITERATURE 1|
|JS519Z||COMPARATIVE LITERATURE 2|
|JS724Z||ADVANCED STUDIES IN INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE STUDIES|
|JS716Z||ADVANCED STUDIES IN COMPARATIVE LITERATURE 1|
|JS717Z||ADVANCED STUDIES IN COMPARATIVE LITERATURE 2|