Applied Linguistics. Second Language Education
On a sabbatical leave in autumn 2022 and spring 2023
B.A., University of Windsor
M.A., University of Guelph
M.A., University of New England
Ph.D., University of Toronto
Research and Teaching Interests：
As an applied linguist, my primary research examines developmental processes informing L2 writing and draws from dynamic systems theory and usage-based theories of language development. I also explore the interface between emergentism and Vygotysky’s sociocultural theory, and the utility of literary texts for developing L2 proficiency. In the classroom, I engage students with recent studies on writing and literacy development and encourage students to reflect upon and apply various educational theories to their own developing academic literacies.
- Fogal,G.G.& Verspoor,M.H.(Eds.).(2020). Complex dynamic systems theory and L2 writing development. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Fogal, G. G. (2012). Global focus: Integrated skills. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Fogal,G.G.(2020). Unpacking ‘simplex systems’: Curricular thinking for L2 writing development. In G.G.Fogal & M.H.Verspoor (Eds.) Complex dynamic systems theory and L2 writing development. Amsterdam:John Benjamins.
- Fogal, G. G., Baba, K, & Nitta, R. (2020). A complex dynamic systems account of corrective feedback and L2 writing development . In M. Riazi, L. Shi, & K. Barkaoui (Eds.). Writing in a second language: Learning, teaching, and assessment. A book in honour of Alister Cumming (pp. 164-189). Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Fogal, G. G. & Pinner, R. (2019). Exploring literary texts as a tool for developing L2 oral proficiency.In C. Jones (Ed.) Literature,spoken language and speaking skills in second language learning (pp. 202-228). Cambridge University Press.
- Fogal, G. G. (2021). System mapping simplex spaces: facilitating change in L2 educational contexts from a complexity theory perspective. International Review of Applied Linguistics. Advance online publication.
- Fogal, G. G. (2020). Investigating variability in L2 development: Extending a complexity theory perspective on L2 writing studies and authorial voice. Applied Linguistics, 41(4), 575-600.
- Fogal, G. G. (2019). Tracking microgenetic changes in authorial voice development from a complexity theory perspective.. Applied Linguistics, 40(3), 432-455.
- Fogal, G. G. (2017). Developing concept-based instruction, pedagogical content knowledge: Implications for teacher educators and L2 instructors. Language and Sociocultural Theory, 4(1), 53-75.
- Fogal, G. G. (2016). Genre-based writing classrooms and learner beliefs in East Asian EAP contexts. Asian Journal of English Language Teaching, 26, 1-27.
- Fogal, G. G. (2015). Pedagogical stylistics in multiple foreign language and second language contexts: A synthesis of empirical research. Language and Literature, 24, 54-72.
- Fogal, G. G., Graham III, F. H. & Lavigne, A. G. (2014). Blended learning: An evolving praxis. TESOL Journal, 5(2), 353–373.
|Courses No||Title||2022 |