When and How to Apply for Non-Degree
Applicants who meet one of the following criteria may apply for entrance.
1. Those who have completed at least one semester at degree-conferring institution(s) as a regular student at the time of application.
2. Those who hold a Bachelor's degree or an Associate degree.
|Online Application||October 10 to November 10, 2017, 23:59 (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||November 17, 2017|
|Notice of Results||December 7, 2017, 10:00 am (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||January 11, 2018|
|Online Application||March 19 to April 19, 2018, 23:59 (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||April 26, 2018|
|Notice of Results||May 22, 2018, 10:00 am (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||June 19, 2018|
All applicants must read through the Application Procedure booklet before applying.
Download Application Procedure: 2018 entry(146.67 KB)
Download Application Procedure: 2018 entry (日本語集中講座B) (154.40 KB)
Application is accepted through the following steps.
1. Register for the on-line application system: https://sophia.applyjapan.com/
2. Make sure to include all your application information together with the required written essay in your on-line application
3. Pay the application fee and submit your application on-line
4. Mail the printed application forms and other application materials to the Sophia Admissions Office
Please make sure to read the Application Procedure booklet for the details about application documents or your application might end in a failure. We hope to accept all applications!
1. Application Forms & Essay (500 words)
2. Official Transcript(s)
3. Proof of Language Proficiency
For English Track applicants
Applicants must prove their English proficiency by taking the TOEFL or the IELTS (Academic). TOEFL ITP is not acceptable.
For Japanese Intensive Track applicants
Applicants should show their Japanese and English proficiency level by submitting some form of proof. For example, test results of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (日本語能力試験), TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, and so on. In addition, applicants should submit a report of their previous experiences in studying Japanese, and any background information including history of residence, language use at home, and any experience of previous contact with Japanese.
4. Two Letters of Recommendation (use forms provided WORD (30.00 KB) PDF (47.28 KB))
5. Certificate of Health (use the form provided(137.63 KB))
6. Standardized Test Scores (Optional)
If an applicant has taken one of the following in the past, submission of results is recommended.
1) SAT (Reasoning Test) Scores
2) ACT Scores
3) IB (International Baccalaureate) Diploma
7. Application Materials Checklist (use the form provided (128.57 KB))
Payment should be made by credit card or through Chinapay or PayPal services, at the last stage of online application during the application period. Payment must be completed by 23:59(JST) of each application deadline. On-line application usage fee of 500 yen will be charged in addition to the application fee.
Notice of Results
Decision on acceptance or rejection will be based on screening of documents submitted by the applicant.
Applicants can confirm their acceptance/rejection through the Sophia official website from 10:00 a.m. (JST) on the results-notice date (See Application Schedule).
For the accepted applicants, an acceptance letter and documents for matriculation will be sent out.
・Sophia University will not disclose the results of an application by telephone, fax or e-mail.
・Acceptance is valid only for the semester specified in the letter of acceptance.
・If the acceptance letter has not reached you within one week after the results-notice date, successful applicants are requested to inquire at the Sophia Admissions Office.