When and How to Apply for a Bachelor's Program in Science and Technology
The following information was made as of September 29.
Subsequent to the above date, unavoidable circumstances due to COVID-19 may result in changes in the University's policies and guidelines. Please note that in cases where any changes are made, the latest information are to be updated on this website as well as the booklet of the "Application Procedure."
The updated information will also be notified to registered applicants via email once the application period opens.
Scores of December SAT will be accepted for the first application session for autumn 2021 entry. (updated on September 29)
For the first application session for autumn 2021 entry, due to the cancellations of SAT, scores of December 2020 will also be accepted even though the result will not come out by the on-line application deadline, December 9 (JST).
When filing out your application information online, please enter the following dummy number to complete the procedure.
Each Test Score: 00 (double zeros)
*MATH SECTION TEST SCORES must include the decimal point "00.0".
Each Test Date: 2020/12
Please note that this program is open to new applicants only for the autumn semester.
Autumn 2020 entry (September)
Second application for Freshmen and Transfer students
|Application period (on-line)||March 18 - April 8, 2020, 23:59 (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||April 15, 2020|
|Notice of Results||June 3, 2020, 10:00 a.m. (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||July 6, 2020|
Autumn 2021 entry (September)
First application for Freshmen
|Application period (on-line)||November 18, 2020, 10:00 a.m. - December 9, 2020, 11:59 p.m. (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||December 16, 2020|
|Notice of Results||February 11, 2021, 10:00 a.m. (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||April 9, 2021|
Second application for Freshmen and Transfer student
|Application period (on-line)||March 17, 2021, 10:00 a.m. - April 7, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (JST)|
|Materials Receipt Deadline||April 14, 2021|
|Notice of Results||June 3, 2021, 10:00 a.m. (JST)|
|Matriculation Fee Deadline||July 8, 2021|
・ An applicant who has not been accepted in a past application may re-apply for the subsequent application periods.
・ Transfer applications will be accepted ONLY during the second application period.
All applicants must read through the Application Procedure booklet.
Application is accepted through the following steps. Make sure to complete each step.
- Prepare the required materials (refer to the "Application Procedure").
- Register for the on-line application website to create your "My Page."
Important information will be sent to the email address you register here until enrollment in Sophia. Please make sure to use an email address you’ll always be able to check even after leaving your current school.
- Make sure to include all your application information during your on-line application.
- Pay the application fee and submit your application online.
- Mail the printed application forms and other application materials to the Sophia Admissions Office by express traceable shipping service.
For applicants for Autumn 2020: Application Procedure for 2020 entry (194.33 KB)
Please make sure to read the Application Procedure booklet for the details about application documents or your application might end in a failure. We hope to accept all applications!
1. Application Forms
2. Essay (500 words) (use the form provided)
3. Official Transcripts
4. Certificate of Graduation from High school (only freshmen applicants)
If you need a form, please use the form provided.
5. Standardized Test Scores (SAT/ACT/IB Diploma/EJU)
6. Proof of English Proficiency (TOEFL*/IELTS)
*TOEFL Special Home Edition will also be accepted.
7. Two Letters of Recommendation (use the form provided)
8. Photocopy of Passport
9. Application Materials Checklist (use the form provided)
- Essay Form(14.93 KB)
- Application Materials Checklist(88.88 KB)
- Recommendation letter form
word(15.16 KB)pdf(44.17 KB)
- International Baccalaureate Predicted Grades Report Form
word(37.50 KB)pdf(5.01 KB)
- Certificate of Graduation/Expected Graduation
word(34.50 KB)pdf(3.93 KB)
Application Fee: 30,000 yen
On-line payment handling fee of 990 yen will be charged in addition to the application fee.
Payment should be made by credit card, at a convenience store (inside Japan), via Pay-easy, or via on-line banking during the application period. Payment must be completed by 11:59 p.m. (JST) of each on-line application deadline. After the deadline, application will not be accepted. The application fee is non-refundable once it is paid.