Complete the online application.
Online Application Website
Session 1: Jan.15-March 23
Session 2: Jan.22-April 13
An applicant must:
- Be enrolled in an college/university outside of Japan
- Submit the following documentation to apply for the program.
- An OFFICIAL Academic transcript from the applicant’s home institution.
The minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.*If the official original transcript is not written in English, submit an official transcript written in the language of origin and an official English translation of the original transcript.
* Freshmen whose semester transcripts are not available yet, should upload the following documents.
a) An enrollment verification certificate from your home institution
b) An official transcript from the previous/last school attended
*In case your official transcript must be sent to us directly from your school, it must be received by the application deadline and sent to:
Email Address: email@example.com
Postal Mailing Address
Center for Global Discovery
Sophia University, Bldg. 2, B1
7-1 Kioicho Chiyoda-Ku Tokyo
- Grading Scale
- 4cm by 3cm Color headshot (taken within the last 3 months)
- Scanned copy of your current Passport pages showing passport number and face photo
- J-CAT (a Japanese Language Competency Test) Score report.
See Placement test below for details.
- English proficiency test score.
(It is applicable to students who take the Japanese Language & Culture course.)
We accept only TOEFL and IELTS scores and the minimum required scores of English proficiency test are as follows:
TOEFL/PBT: 550, TOEFL/iBT: 79, IELTS: 6.0
The following applicants are exempt from the English proficiency test score requirement:
- Applicants whose native language is English.
- Applicants currently attending educational institutions whose main language of instruction is English.
Note: Applicants who take the Japanese Language course only are not required to submit the English proficiency test score, however, they need a certain level of English proficiency to keep up with classes.
Placement Test : J-CAT (A Japanese Language Competency Test)
All Applicants must take a Japanese Language Competency Test for class placement and upload the score report when applying online.
*Note that those who have never studied Japanese before need not to take the test. However, you are instructed to claim your Japanese proficiency as you have “no Japanese learning experience”.
*If you don’t upload the placement test score, you will be placed in the beginner class and a level change won’t be accepted even if your actual Japanese Level is high.
How to take J-CAT placement test and upload the score report.
There are two steps to follow:
- First Step: Click on the link below and register.
J-CAT Placement Test
1) Click on "個人受験” and fill in the blanks to register.
2) You will receive your password by email in a few days.
- Second Step: Log in and take the test during the designated period.
1) Click on the "Log-in Group Exam and Individual Exam" and log in.
2) As you complete the test, your score will be displayed.
Download the score and upload it.
Note:* Since you can take the test only once, start it when you have at least 90 minutes of free time. Prepare the earphone set during Listening section if necessary.
*Remember that there is no point trying to get a better score by cheating, as this is a placement test.
All documentation must be submitted by the application deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
Applications will be evaluated by Sophia Short-term program committee based on the submitted documents.
Notice of Acceptance
The result of the screening will be sent via email.
Summer Session 1: By April 6. (Japan Time)
Summer Session 2: By April 20.(Japan Time)