Living Expenses/Statistics/Housing Arrangement Policies
Approximate Living Expenses for Exchange Students
Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Exchange students are expected to prepare sufficient funds (approx. 150,000 JPY per month) as the living expenses. The chart below gives the approximate costs depending on the housing types and other anticipated expenses.
Approximate housing fee
|Type of Housing||1 Semester
|Wakeijuku (men only)||503,000 JPY||1,178,000 JPY||2 meals, utilities&internet
|Kasai International House
|317,000 JPY||732,000 JPY||internet included|
|Sophia Soshigaya International House||214,000 JPY||589,000 JPY||utilities and internet included|
|Sophia-Arrupe International Residence||470,000 JPY||1,040,000 JPY||utilities and internet included|
|Azalea House||305,000 JPY||635,000 JPY||internet included|
|BeGood ZoshigayaEkimae||420,000 JPY-||880,000 JPY-||Utilities & internet included|
|FlatShare SHIN-Otsuka Campus||400,000 JPY-||800,000 JPY-||Utilities & internet included|
|DK House Tokyo Nerima||320,000 JPY||710,000 JPY||Utilities (excluding
electric usage charge) &
|DK House Shinkoiwa||320,000 JPY||710,000 JPY||same as above|
|DK House Matsudo||290,000 JPY||630,000 JPY||same as above|
|Social Residence Higashi Koganei||340,000 JPY||780,000 JPY||utilities and internet included|
*The above figures are approximate estimates. For details please refer to the housing information for each options.
**Fee for the arrival month is charged additionally.
Other anticipated living expenses
|Meals||30,000-60,000 JPY /month|
|Textbooks||30,000-50,000 JPY /semester|
|Commuter Pass||5,000-10,000 JPY /month|
|Personal expenses||20,000 JPY /month||depends on lifestyle|
|Japanese National Health Insurance||1,500-3,000JPY /month||depends on resident areas|
|Personal Accident Insurance||800 JPY /year||Mandatory|
Statistics of Exchange Student Housing
|Type of Housing||Number|
|Sophia Soshigaya International House||50-70|
|Sophia-Arrupe International Residence||30|
|Kasai International House||5-10|
|DK House Tokyo Nerima||20-30|
|DK House Shinkoiwa||20-30|
|DK House Matsudo||30-40|
|FlatShare SHIN-Otsuka Campus||10-20|
|Social Residence Higashi Koganei||5-10|
|Others (Self-Arrangement, etc.)||50-70|
|Total Number of Students||250-310|
Housing Arrangement Procedures and Policies
Housing Arrangement Procedures
1. Exchange students should submit a completed housing application with other application documents. Housing arrangements will be on a first-come-first-served basis.
2. Sophia University will make arrangements for the housing, and a "Housing Notice" with the details of the housing will be sent to each student along with the Acceptance Package.
3. Exchange students are requested to complete the necessary payment by the deadline, which is usually at least one month before the arrival in Japan.
4. Exchange students who make the housing arrangement through Sophia should arrive on the designated arrival dates.
Policy for Sophia Housing Arrangement
1. Sophia University will arrange the housing based on the student's preference, availability of the rooms, and information provided from the student.
2. It is not possible to cancel or change the housing after the "Housing Notice" has been sent.
3. Exchange students are expected to make all necessary payments by the deadline. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of the housing arrangement, and charging of a penalty fee.
4. Sophia University will make arrangements only before the students' arrival in Japan. In principle it is not possible to re-arrange the housing after arrival.
5. Students are NOT allowed to move from housing arranged by Sophia without previous notice to Sophia University. They are requested to follow the directions from Sophia, but finding alternative accommodation is their own responsibility.