Applicants who meet the following criteria may apply for the exchange program.
1. Those who have completed at least one semester of study at one of the Sophia's partner institutions as a degree-seeking student before submitting the exchange application.
2. Those who are nominated by the home institution.
3. For the undergraduate program: those who have graduated from high school or have completed more than 12 years of formal education before participating in the exchange program.
4. For the graduate program: Those who have completed undergraduate work or have completed more than 16 years of formal education before participating in the exchange program. Applicatns are expected to have relevant academic background for their course of study at Sophia. Those who do not meet these qualifications will be asked to reapply to undergraduate programs or rejected.
5. The applicants should have Grade Point Average of B (3.0) or better in the standard 4-level rating system (A, B, C, D) or equivalent.
6. In principle, Applicants of Japanese-taught departments/ graduate programs are required to submit Japanese-Language Proficiency Test N1 certificate.
7. Applicants of English-taught program from non-English-speaking institutions are required to submit one of the following English aptitude proofs.
a. Minimum 79 on TOEFL iBT
b. Minimum 550 on TOEFL PBT/ ITP
c. Minimum 6.0 on IELTS(Academic)
d. Minimum 730 on TOEIC
**Non-native English speakers who apply for the Graduate Program in Global Studies are expected to have a higher English ability in comparison to the undergraduate program.
a. Minimum 100 on TOEFL iBT
b. Minimum 600 on TOEFL PBT/ ITP
c. Minimum 7.0 on IELTS(Academic)
d. Minimum 870 on TOEIC
Visiting students and non-degree students at the partner institution are not eligible.
Specific qualifications are written in each contract. Please confer with the study abroad coordinator at your home institution.