Font Size


  1. HOME
  2. Admissions
  3. Exchange Programs
  4. Application Information for Exchange Students
  5. Visa
Basic Information for International Students
Undergraduate Programs
Graduate Programs
Short-term Study Options
Scholarship, Housing, and more.
For MEXT students
Voice of International Students
【Faculty of Science and Technology】
【Faculty of Liberal Arts】
Campus Visit (Yotsuya Campus) / Contact
On-Campus Event : "SOPHIA OPEN CAMPUS"
Sophia University Official YouTube Channel
Short-term Programs
Summer Session in East Asian Studes
Dates & Schedule
Fees & Payment
Academic Information
After Application Procedure
Summer Session in Japanese Language
Dates & Schedule
Fees & Payment
Academic Information
After Application Procedure
January Session in Japanese Studies
Undergraduate Admissions
English-taught Programs
Faculty of Liberal Arts
Faculty of Science and Technology
Non-Matriculated Students (Kamokuto Rishusei)
Admission for Second Degree
Japanese-taught Programs
Non-Degree Students
Basic Information
When and How to Apply
Tuition&Fee / After you Apply
Contact Office
Exchange Programs
Application Information for Exchange Students
Application Dates and Procedure
Application Materials
Course Registration and Obligations at Sophia
Tuition and Fees
Insurance and Medical Services
Application information in Japanese (日本語)
Academic Calendar for Exchange Students
Calendar for the Spring Semester
Calendar for the Autumn Semester
Housing Information & Costs
Housing Information(Only for Exchange Students)
Living Expenses/Statistics/Housing Arrangement Policies
Housing List
Course Information
Graduate Admissions
English-taught Programs
Graduate Program in Global Studies
M.S. / Ph. D. in Green Science and Engineering
M.A. / Ph.D. in Global Environmental Studies
M.A. in Linguistics (TESOL:Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
M.A. / Ph. D. in Education
General Information for Non-Matriculated Students
Japanese-taught Programs
Extension Program (Japanese Language Courses / for Foreign Residents in Japan)
◇2017 Autumn Course Details ◇
Course #2401 "Essential grammar for meaningful communication in Japanese" <Basic>
Course #2402  "Establish confidence in Speaking Japanese ! "<Pre-Intermediate>
Course #2403  "Modern Japan in Modern Japanese" <Intermediate>
Course #2404  "Beginners’ Japanese:Learn to communicate in 8 weeks" <Beginners>
Course #2405  "Japanese for Faculty and Staff" <Pre-Intermediate>
Level Chart
Important Notes
To apply
Why learn at Sophia University?
Contact Us (ONLY inquiry for EXTENSION PROGRAMS!)



Exchange students who are not Japanese citizens must obtain ‘college student’ or other suitable visa status in order to register for courses at Sophia University. ‘College student’ visa is valid for one year and should be obtained in student’s home country. In order to apply for a College Student Visa, the student will need the Acceptance Letter from Sophia University and CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY issued by the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau.


Sophia University will apply the CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY for students who have been nominated by partner institutions. The document will be issued by Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau in approximately 6-8 weeks

The following documents are necessary for obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility.

1. Application for Certificate of Eligibility ( Can be downloaded and submitted online)
Please ask the coordinator of your institution for the website URL to download the forms.

2. A photocopy of the applicant’s passport title page. Number, place of issuing, period of validity, and birth date must be visible. Students from Korea, R.O.C., or P.R.C. are requested to supply Sophia with the official Chinese characters for their names.

3. Two photographs (length 4cm x width 3cm)
No edge, Just side, In formal pose, Clearness and No background scenery. Color photocopies or computer printouts are not acceptable.


As soon as the Certificate of Eligibility is issued, Sophia will forward the Certificate to the student's home institution. The student must present the Certificate of Eligibility, letter of acceptance, and valid passport to a Japanese embassy or consulate either in the country of citizenship or in the country where the student's home institution is located. The bureaucrat will issue the college student visa and students will receive their resednecestamp it in the back of the student’s passport.
N.B: We do not recommend students to enter Japan with short-term visitor visa then change residence status to college student visa as this process usually takes more time and students may not be able to obain college studnet visa before the semester start.


All students with a "College Student" status of residence will be issued a resident card at Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai Airports, besides having a seal of landing verification stamped in your passports. At other ports of entry/departure, a seal of landing verification will be stamped in the passport and the description which states "a resident card will be issued later" will be made near the stamp. In this case, after you follow the residency procedure at the municipal office of the city/town/village, a resident card will be mailed by the Regional Immigration Office to the reported place of residence. You must carry the resident card all the time during your stay in Japan. For detailed information, please refer to THE HANDBOOK FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS .


Page Top